Staycation 2012 - Thursday's Fun

Thursday morning, I decided to go run at yet another lake and forest preserve — one that was a bit farther way from home. It had turned a bit cold and damp since yesterday, and there were some feisty clouds in the sky. A little over half-way there, a decent rain shower commenced ... making me wish I hadn't slept in so long.

By the time I arrived, the rain had stopped but it was still quite chilly. I decided to tuff it out, not let that stop me, and I headed out on the trails. So thankful I did because it was an absolutely beautiful run! I started out on the foot trails that traveled through woods, open meadows, and prairie. After about two miles, I ended up on a paved bike path that ran between the wooded and prairie areas. I finished my four miles by running through a peaceful and pretty botanical gardens. A light rain shower started to drizzle right as I finished my workout.

Ahhh ... perfect timing. I'm fairly certain this is now one of my favorite places to run, and I can't wait to go back.

I went home, cleaned up, and headed back to the "paint your own pottery" place. My oldest girlie was going to celebrate a birthday soon, and I had a nifty idea.

When Nicole was away at college, one of her friends kept insisting she had a "thing" for owls (even though she never really did). I'm told they had silly debates about this subject and that he even started buying her owl-themed items for gifts. Other friends decided to join in the silliness, and pretty soon, the owl became her "spirit animal." It's actually quite fitting for her. She has these beautiful, large, brown eyes, and her grandma often refers to her as a wise owl of the fam.

I suppose it was meant to be. 

Internet image search led to this cutie-pie inspiration.

It was kind of an ambitious project for my second effort, but I was motivated. The staff were absolutely awesome at helping me sort out some of the trickier parts. After about three hours, I was over half done with the project and I had met two new people. I decided to hold off on tackling the last and final step until the next morning, so I headed home to take a nap before Karaoke.

Oh, Karaoke. I had missed you! I'm only a two-hit wonder, but still ... I missed you.

A good friend of mine invited me to join his company's Karaoke night. We started off at a better-than-biker-bar venue with a decent crowd and a bodacious stage that is super fun for singing Karaoke. A few of us got to sing a song or two, but for some quirky reason, the DJ kept passing over someone in our group. We decided to migrate over to a kinda-sorta-Irishy Karaoke bar a few blocks away and had better luck there.

Ohmygoodness, what a blast! I also met three, groovy new people that night. They have assured me they will bust me out of my two-hit-wonderitis. Sounds kinda fun, in a scary sorta way.

Cheri

P.S. Do you sing Karaoke? If so, what do you prefer? To sing songs you know and have rehearsed? Or to just get up there and wing it? Props to those who wing it and enjoy it regardless of the outcome. Takes guts. YOU are my Karaoke heroines and heroes.

Comments

Popular Posts