Staycation 2012 - Monday #1

The weather forecast suggested Memorial Day would bring the right kind of conditions for finally spreading that Weed-n-Feed. So once again, I hopped out of bed bright and early to check for wet grass.

Yay! This time it was wet!

I was about ready to change my clothes when I heard the sound of heavy raindrops falling on my bathroom skylights.

Yay! Good excuse to go back to bed!

[sinister laughter]

After two more hours of sleep, the sun came out, the grass was still wet, and I finally did my neighborly duty of keeping up with the grassy Joneses.

Well sorta.

A quick look at my lawn today tells me:
  • Maybe I should have bought twice as much Weed-n-Feed
  • I missed a few spots
  • Some spots may have received too much attention
  • Next time, I should try to drive the spreader slower ... and straighter

Oh well. It's the thought that counts. Right? And if anybody comments on the funny patterns in my grass, I'll play it cool and tell them it's art.

I spent much of that afternoon with my family. My younger sister hosted a cookout to celebrate our youngest sister's graduation from college with an office technology degree. I am so very proud of her! The hardwork it takes to earn a degree, with awesome grades, is impressive enough. But she did so while working full-time in a service-oriented industry (as in, on her feet most of the working day). And as a single (and wonderful!) Momma of her adorable six year old son.

I had a great time visiting with most of my family ... my sisters, my oldest daughter, my Mom, my step-father, my aunt and her newlywed husband, a close family friend, Job the geriatric kitty cat, and Hobo the spunky new puppy.We were missing the youngest kiddos, who were all visiting their dads ... my youngest daughter, the graduate's cutie-pie, and my other sister's adorable, blue-eyed monkeys (that's what she calls them).

After the celebration, I went home and found a nice spot on my back porch to settle in for some guitar practice. I continued working on learning a new song, practiced a few newish ones, and finished by playing and singing some of my favorite worship songs.

It was another beautiful day that turned into a peaceful and pretty evening ... and I wanted to continue savoring it.

Dang good reason to walk to the local Dairy Queen and grab a strawberry sundae ... just before they closed.

Cheri

P.S. Somebody recently asked me, "what do you think about when you are looking up at the stars?" Hmmm, interesting question. I honestly don't recall having any active, significant, or memorable thoughts while stargazing, and I think that is the key to why it beckons me. It is relaxing, beautiful, and peaceful. For this, I am thankful. What about you? Do you stargaze? If so, what prompts you to do so and/or what do you think about (if anything) when you do?

This image was illustrated by Lily, ~9 years old. Thanks Lily!
http://isaacgracelily.blogspot.com/2010/08/star-gazing-by-lily.html


Comments

Popular Posts